The plan is to build a causeway between Riutunkari in Oulu and Huikku on Hailuoto Island. The causeway will replace the current ferry service. The causeway will be approximately 8.4 kilometres long, and it will consist of a road running on top of an embankment and long bridges in Huikku and Riutunkari.
Illustrational picture of a rail.
Luumäki-Imatra railway project
A double-track railway is being built on the line Joutseno–Imatra, replacing the current single-track railway. The current track on the line Luumäki–Joutseno is also being improved. The project also comprises renovations to reduce the maintenance backlog on the Saimaa Canal Railway Bridge, the Mansikkakoski Railway Bridge and the underpass on the old Main Road 6.
Development projects for border crossing points
The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency acts as a coordinator in six infrastructure development projects at the border crossing points of Raja-Jooseppi, Vartius, Parikkala, Imatra, Vainikkala and Vaalimaa funded jointly by the European Union and Finland. The projects will be implemented between 2019 and 2022.
2.6.2023 The winter of the icebreaking season 2022–2023 was mild and the season lasted 167 days The icebreaking season started on 11 December 2022 when Otso left for the Bay of Bothnia as the first icebreaker of the winter. The last icebreaker to return to Katajanokka was Kontio (on 26 May 2023). Thus, the icebreaking season lasted a total of 167 days. In the Gulf of Finland, the icebreaking season started on 6 January and lasted until 12 April.
22.3.2023 Finland is one of the leading countries in digital modelling of transport networks The vision of transport infrastructure data management for 2030 is to build a digital model of the transport network to support transport infrastructure management in the best possible way and a digital twin of the most important sites, which has not yet been done elsewhere. What is it all about, and what is the difference between a digital model and a digital twin?
- 12.9.2023 Winter Navigation Research Board calls for research projects
- 2.6.2023 The winter of the icebreaking season 2022–2023 was mild and the season lasted 167 days
- 23.3.2023 Important news regarding the next material publication from Digiroad
- 22.3.2023 Finland is one of the leading countries in digital modelling of transport networks
- 23.1.2023 Modularity of railway signalling equipment will soon be a reality – saving money and creating new opportunities for companies
- 17.1.2023 Along the main line: The busiest railway line is well maintained
- 28.12.2022 Fast planning and smooth cooperation were needed for LNG terminal
- 9.12.2022 Icebreaking season 2022–2023 begins: The first icebreaker, Otso, leaves for the Bay of Bothnia on Sunday, 11 December.
- 8.12.2022 More transparency and responsibility in transport infrastructure projects with the investment programme
- 8.12.2022 Road users’ satisfaction with the condition of roads in summer remained unchanged – a slight drop in satisfaction with winter maintenance was recorded