The plan is to build a causeway between Riutunkari in Oulu and Huikku on Hailuoto Island. The causeway will replace the current ferry service. The causeway will be approximately 8.4 kilometres long, and it will consist of a road running on top of an embankment and long bridges in Huikku and Riutunkari.
Illustrational picture of a rail.
Luumäki-Imatra railway project
A double-track railway is being built on the line Joutseno–Imatra, replacing the current single-track railway. The current track on the line Luumäki–Joutseno is also being improved. The project also comprises renovations to reduce the maintenance backlog on the Saimaa Canal Railway Bridge, the Mansikkakoski Railway Bridge and the underpass on the old Main Road 6.
Development projects for border crossing points
The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency acts as a coordinator in six infrastructure development projects at the border crossing points of Raja-Jooseppi, Vartius, Parikkala, Imatra, Vainikkala and Vaalimaa funded jointly by the European Union and Finland. The projects will be implemented between 2019 and 2022.
22.6.2022 The icebreaking season 2021–2022 was exceptionally long The past icebreaking season started as early as at the beginning of December 2021, when Otso was the first icebreaker to sail off to the Bay of Bothnia on 3 December 2021 and the last one to return to Katajanokka on 30 May 2022. Therefore, the icebreaking season lasted a total of 179 days. In the Gulf of Finland, the icebreaking season lasted until 11 April. In the Sea of Bothnia, the season ended on 20 April.
16.6.2022 Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency's investment programme for 2023-2030 has been published The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency has published its proposal for the investment programme of new rail, road, and waterway projects for 2023-2030. The objectives and financial frameworks of the Transport network investment programme come from the National Transport System Plan (Transport 12).
- 22.6.2022 The icebreaking season 2021–2022 was exceptionally long
- 16.6.2022 Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency's investment programme for 2023-2030 has been published
- 8.6.2022 Safety at level crossing is your responsibility
- 19.5.2022 Construction projects have been hit by high prices and shortages of materials
- 19.5.2022 Working together for safe road construction
- 19.5.2022 The simple composition of asphalt ensures successful recycling
- 12.5.2022 The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency aims for zero-emission construction sites through a Green Deal agreement
- 11.4.2022 The design for a next generation icebreaker, jointly procured by the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency and the Swedish Maritime Administration, is ready
- 4.4.2022 Attention: The Digiroad application maintenance break has ended on Monday, April 4, 2022
- 15.3.2022 Attention: The Digiroad application will have maintenance break starting on Monday, March 21, 2022