The plan is to build a causeway between Riutunkari in Oulu and Huikku on Hailuoto Island. The causeway will replace the current ferry service. The causeway will be approximately 8.4 kilometres long, and it will consist of a road running on top of an embankment and long bridges in Huikku and Riutunkari.
Illustrational picture of a rail.
Luumäki-Imatra railway project
A double-track railway is being built on the line Joutseno–Imatra, replacing the current single-track railway. The current track on the line Luumäki–Joutseno is also being improved. The project also comprises renovations to reduce the maintenance backlog on the Saimaa Canal Railway Bridge, the Mansikkakoski Railway Bridge and the underpass on the old Main Road 6.
Development projects for border crossing points
The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency acts as a coordinator in six infrastructure development projects at the border crossing points of Raja-Jooseppi, Vartius, Parikkala, Imatra, Vainikkala and Vaalimaa funded jointly by the European Union and Finland. The projects will be implemented between 2019 and 2022.
16.9.2022 Director general Wihlman: We keep Finland moving A well-functioning transport network promotes Finland’s well-being, competitiveness and sustainable growth. The transport network is one of our national assets, but its maintenance backlog is already nearly three billion euros. This is reflected in the everyday life of transport network users as reduced speed or weight limits, for example.
22.6.2022 The icebreaking season 2021–2022 was exceptionally long The past icebreaking season started as early as at the beginning of December 2021, when Otso was the first icebreaker to sail off to the Bay of Bothnia on 3 December 2021 and the last one to return to Katajanokka on 30 May 2022. Therefore, the icebreaking season lasted a total of 179 days. In the Gulf of Finland, the icebreaking season lasted until 11 April. In the Sea of Bothnia, the season ended on 20 April.
- 16.9.2022 Ship sizes are increasing – are waterways keeping up with development?
- 16.9.2022 Punctuality of railway traffic will be improved in many ways
- 16.9.2022 Investing in walking and cycling routes – how does paving them differ from highways?
- 16.9.2022 Anatomy of a road traffic bottleneck
- 16.9.2022 Director general Wihlman: We keep Finland moving
- 14.9.2022 Number of inhabitants exposed to noise from the busiest roads and railways assessed
- 2.9.2022 Correction to Digiroad publication 3/2022 has been made at 2.9.2022
- 12.8.2022 Digiroad publication 3/2022 is now available
- 22.6.2022 The icebreaking season 2021–2022 was exceptionally long
- 16.6.2022 Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency's investment programme for 2023-2030 has been published