Let the boating season begin! Shallow-water channels open in May
Published 22.4.2021 14.33
The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency will open the shallow-water channels for traffic between 7 May 2021 and 21 May 2021. At the beginning of the boating season, boaters should be particularly careful, as, for example, some fairway spa buoys may have shifted location or been damaged during the winter.
The schedule for opening the channels is as follows:
7 May 2021 at 9:00 am:
- Vääksy, Kalkkinen
- Kokemäenjoki river basin (Lempäälä, Valkeakoski, Murole, Herraskoski)
14 May 2021 at 9:00 am:
- Keitele Canal (Vaajakoski, Kuhankoski, Kuusaa, Kapeenkoski, Paatela)
- Rautalammi route (Kerkonkoski, Kiesimä, Neituri, Kolu)
- Iisalmi route and heritage canals (Nerkoo, Ahkiolahti, Kuivataipale, Saarikoski)
- Heinävesi route (Pilppa, Vihovuonne, Kerma, Karvio)
- Pielisjoki route (Joensuu, Kaltimo, Kuurna)
21 May 2021 at 9:00 am:
- Heinävesi/Juojärvi route (Varistaival, Taivallahti)
- Tahko route (Karjalankoski, Juankoski, Lastukoski)
Up-to-date information for boaters
During this boating season, you should take account of the following changes:
- Change in the opening hours of the Kellosalmi bridge. The bridge is currently opened from the Vääksy Canal. You will find the new opening hours of the bridge on the Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency's website.
- Limited clearance due to the construction of the new Lillholmen bridge. The bridge will not be opened for waterborne traffic. Clearance 6.0 metres, opening width 10 metres.
The Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency urges boaters to be particularly careful as the new boating season now begins. It is possible that not all aids to navigation are in place when the shallow-water channels open. During the winter, spa buoys in particular often shift location, become damaged or get lost altogether. The repairs will be made by midsummer at the latest.
Tero Sikiö, Head of Unit
Finnish Transport Infrastructure Agency
tel. + 358 295 34 3409
This is an old article. It may contain deprecated information and the links may not work.